USOW helped moms access CTC payments!
From July to December 2021, the United State of Women launched a campaign to help low-income young moms of color across the country claim their extended Child Tax Credit payments. Through direct outreach and partner trainings, we helped spread the word to families who needed these payments the most.
The American Rescue Plan expanded the Child Tax Credit in 2021 by increasing the amount given per qualifying child, raising the age limit from 16 to 17, and automatically sending advance payments of up to half the CTC earlier in the year.
- We conducted five navigator trainings in partnership with the White House and Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.
- We hosted 5 peer-to-peer text banks with over 100 volunteers who sent more than 439,500 texts to people across the country.
- We provided a support text line to help answer questions about the CTC.
“Before becoming a CTC volunteer, I was struggling to find ways to help spread the word on the tax credit in a meaningful way. Thanks to the incredible organizers at USOW, I was able to make thousands of texts to ensure folks are aware of the CTC and their eligibility. I had such a great time meeting other volunteers and the organizers made the space so welcoming. I would definitely do this again.”
“This was awesome. I loved that you created a sense of community while we were texting. I had fun and felt good about helping spread the word.”
To find the most up to date information about the Child Tax Credit, including information about who qualifies and how to claim the credit, head to the IRS website.
A huge thank you to our partners who supported our efforts, we could not have done this work without them.
- The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights
- Young Women for US
- Black Women’s Roundtable
- Black Girls Vote
- Common Sense Media
- STAND for Children Arizona
- Coalition on Human Needs
- Partnership for America’s Children
- YWCA USA
- Building Back Together
- Code for America